Half Moon Bay, California is a small community situated on the San Mateo County coast of the Pacific Ocean. The population of Half Moon Bay is approximately 11,324 residents, and the town covers an area of approximately 6 square miles. The geography of Half Moon Bay is characterized by rugged coastline and rolling hills, with many beautiful beaches and rocky coves. The climate in Half Moon Bay is temperate with average temperatures ranging from the high 50s to mid-70s during the summer months. Check whicheverhealth for information about Albany, California.
The history of Half Moon Bay dates back to 1769 when Spanish explorers arrived in the area. Since then, the town has been home to a variety of different cultures including Native Americans, Spanish colonists, Portuguese immigrants, and early settlers from Europe. In more recent years, Half Moon Bay has become a popular tourist destination due to its stunning beaches and picturesque scenery.
Politically speaking, Half Moon Bay is part of San Mateo County and falls within California’s 12th Congressional District. The economy in Half Moon Bay is largely based on tourism and agriculture; however there are also a number of small businesses located in the area as well.
The schools in Half Moon Bay are served by two public school districts: Cabrillo Unified School District (CUSD) and Coastside Unified School District (CUSD). There are several private schools located in the area as well including Holy Family School and St. Paul’s Lutheran School.
Finally, some popular landmarks in Half Moon Beach include Mavericks Beach (a world-famous surfing spot), Pillar Point Harbor (a harbor for recreational boating activities), Pillar Point Marsh (a protected wildlife refuge), Pigeon Point Lighthouse (the tallest lighthouse on the West Coast), Fitzgerald Marine Reserve (a marine reserve filled with tide pools) and Miramar Beach (an expansive beach perfect for beachcombing).
Population: 11,842. Estimated population in July 2020: 12,203 (+3.0% change)
Males: 6,277 (53.0%), Females: 5,565 (47.0%)
San Mateo County
Zip code: 94019
Median resident age: 38.7 years
Median household income: $78,473
Median house value: $499,500
Races in Half Moon Bay:
- White Non-Hispanic (66.6%)
- Hispanic (23.2%)
- Other race (11.0%)
- Black (3.9%)
- Two or more races (3.8%)
- American Indian (1.3%)
- Filipino (1.2%)
- Chinese (0.8%)
- Japanese (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (14.3%), Irish (13.5%), English (10.5%), Italian (9.1%), Portuguese (5.5%), Scottish (4.0%).
Elevation: 69 feet
Land area: 6.5 square miles
Half Moon Bay is a small coastal city in San Mateo County, California. It has a population of just over 11,000 people. The median age of the population is around 45, which is slightly older than the national average. The racial makeup of Half Moon Bay is predominantly Caucasian, but there are also sizable populations of Asian and Hispanic residents. Over 40% of the population is foreign-born and about 15% speak a language other than English at home. The most common industries for employment are education, healthcare and social assistance, retail trade, and professional services. Half Moon Bay also has a large fishing industry with many commercial vessels operating out of Pillar Point Harbor. There are many small businesses in the area that cater to tourists from all over the world who come to enjoy the beautiful beaches and attractions such as Mavericks Surf Contest and Fitzgerald Marine Reserve. The city also has several parks and trails for outdoor activities such as hiking or biking. Overall, Half Moon Bay is a diverse community with something for everyone!
For population 25 years and over in Half Moon Bay
- High school or higher: 77.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 35.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 13.4%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Half Moon Bay city
- Never married: 27.0%
- Now married: 57.6%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 4.8%
- Divorced: 8.8%
24.4% Foreign born (14.0% Latin America, 7.0% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +2,940 (+33.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Half Moon Bay:
- ST CATHERINE HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; MOSS BEACH, CA)
- MILLS-PENINSULA HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; BURLINGAME, CA)
- SAN MATEO COUNTY GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; SAN MATEO, CA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Half Moon Bay:
- SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL (about 12 miles; SAN FRANCISCO, CA; Abbreviation: SFO)
- METROPOLITAN OAKLAND INTL (about 24 miles; OAKLAND, CA; Abbreviation: OAK)
- NORMAN Y. MINETA SAN JOSE INTERNATIONAL (about 37 miles; SAN JOSE, CA; Abbreviation: SJC)
Other public-use airports nearest to Half Moon Bay:
- HALF MOON BAY (about 6 miles; HALF MOON BAY, CA; Abbreviation: HAF)
- SAN CARLOS (about 15 miles; SAN CARLOS, CA; Abbreviation: SQL)
- PALO ALTO ARPT OF SANTA CLARA CO (about 24 miles; PALO ALTO, CA; Abbreviation: PAO)
Amtrak stations near Half Moon Bay:
- 11 miles: MILLBRAE (MILLBRAE AVE. & CALIFORNIA DR.) – Bus Station. Services: fully wheelchair accessible, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 12 miles: SAN FRANCISCO INT’L AIRPO (SAN BRUNO, SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT) – Bus Station. Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, car rental agency, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Half Moon Bay:
- COLLEGE OF SAN MATEO (about 10 miles; SAN MATEO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 5,619)
- SKYLINE COLLEGE (about 12 miles; SAN BRUNO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 4,335)
- CANADA COLLEGE (about 15 miles; REDWOOD CITY, CA; Full-time enrollment: 2,438)
- CITY COLLEGE OF SAN FRANCISCO (about 19 miles; SAN FRANCISCO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 17,819)
- SAN FRANCISCO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; SAN FRANCISCO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 21,373)
- STANFORD UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; STANFORD, CA; Full-time enrollment: 14,955)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-SAN FRANCISCO (about 21 miles; SAN FRANCISCO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 3,517)
Public high schools in Half Moon Bay:
- HALF MOON BAY HIGH (Students: 1,169; Location: LOUIS FOSTER DR.; Grades: 09 – 12)
- PILARCITOS HIGH (CONT.) (Students: 41; Location: 498 KELLY AVE.; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Half Moon Bay:
- CUNHA (MANUEL F.) INTERMEDIATE (Students: 828; Location: 498 KELLY AVE.; Grades: 06 – 08)
- HATCH (ALVIN S.) ELEMENTARY (Students: 632; Location: 490 MIRAMONTES AVE.; Grades: KG – 05)
- KINGS MOUNTAIN PRIMARY (Students: 50; Location: 498 KELLY AVE.; Grades: KG – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Half Moon Bay:
- SEA CREST SCHOOL INC. (Students: 133; Location: 700 MONTE VISTA LN.; Grades: KG – 8)